This lock-down period is actually taking a toll over our eating habits. We are all home bound, less stuff to do and worst of all, we are hungry all the time… So is the case at my place. My husband, a diabetic, seems to be hungry throughout the day. So I was going through the internet and came across the idea of trail mix. I went through a lot of such recipes, and came up with my version of the trail mix, which is healthy and diabetes friendly.
Also, the best part is that it is quick to make, and lasts for a long time (Actually, that depends on you;P). All you need to do is, collect various ingredients, mix them and store it for regular consumption.
- Roasted Peanuts
- Roasted Chana
- Makhana – roasted, preferably (Fox Nut)
- Seed mix
- Nuts – almonds, cashew nuts or whatever you like
All the above ingredients are easily available in the market. But I roasted the makhanas/ fox nuts at home. Here is how you can do it:
Just heat the pan and put the makhanas/ fox nuts in it. Keep stirring them for 2 minutes and then take them out in a separate dish. Let it cool.
How I made it:
- My seed and nut mix had a lot of dried fruits in it – not healthy for diabetics, so i removed all of them.
- Next, simply mix all of the above mentioned ingredients and keep in an air tight jar.
- You may increase the quantity of the ingredients as per your taste. That is the reason I have not mentioned the quantities of the ingredients.
- But remember, since this trail mix is high in calories, you should restrict the portion size that you take everyday.
So, just pick up some ingredients, and mix them and savour them. Do let me know if you know of any more ingredients that can be added to the healthy mix.