My son and I are holidaying at my Mom’s place. I have been chilling and soaking in the winter sun. My little one is being pampered and playing his heart out – with no restrictions! Though I have been staying away from the kitchen, my mom keeps telling me her useful kitchen tips every now and then.
I thought of sharing a few handy and useful kitchen tips with you all, that Mom has been telling me.
Useful Kitchen Tips:
- When making cardamom powder, add 1 spoon sugar to make finer powder.
- When making Asafetida (hing) powder, add 1 spoon salt to make finer powder.
- When making mustard seeds’ (raai) powder, add 1 spoon salt to make finer powder.
- Always soak rice for at least half an hour before cooking.
- If you are making rice by draining the excess water, do not soak – otherwise they become sticky. Also, in this case, use excess water for cooking.
- While boiling milk, always add a little water at the base of the vessel to avoid the milk from sticking at the bottom.
- Whenever curd is to be added to the masala, beat it well beforehand and add gradually. This will help in avoiding lumps.
- Soak whole pulses (Like rajma, black gram, white gram) overnight and other dals for one hour before cooking. This will shorten the cooking time.
- If you forget to soak White Chana/Rajma overnight, just soak them in boiling water for an hour before cooking.
- Add a few drops of lemon a tsp of oil to rice before boiling to separate each grain.
- If you have some leftover vegetables and/ or dal, mix them with flour, add some chopped onions and green chillis to make a dough for yummy parathas. If required, add a little salt and red chilli powder.
Well, these are just a few, straight out of my mom’s kitchen. Will share more in some time.